Please upgrade to a more up-to-date browser to explore the datasets on this website.


User menu

Cambridgeshire Insight OpenData

Welcome to Cambridgeshire Insight Open Data
Funded by the LGA Open data Breakthrough Fund

Other Access

The information on this page (the dataset metadata) is also available in these formats.


via the DKAN API

Supported housing in Cambridgeshire, Peterborough and West Suffolk

A data set identifying three main categories of supported housing across Cambridgeshire, Peterborough and West Suffolk: housing schemes for older people, people with disabilities and for homeless people. This is an initial list of over 600 schemes (not individual properties) aimed at supporting our geo-location work.

Data and Resources

Dataset Info

These fields are compatible with DCAT, an RDF vocabulary designed to facilitate interoperability between data catalogs published on the Web.
Modified Date
Release Date
Spatial / Geographical Coverage Location
Cambridge, East Cambridgeshire, Fenland, Forest Heath, Huntingdonshire, Peterborough, South Cambridgeshire, St Edmundsbury
Open Data Commons Attribution License
Sue Beecroft
Data Dictionary
Ref: reference number for each scheme. Please quote this ref number if you have comments to make. Scheme name: Name of the housing scheme, sometimes with village or area name added if there is more than one scheme of that name. Some supported housing schemes don't have a formal name as such, in which case the road name has been used. Street: Number and street name if available Village / Area: Village or area name Town: Town name Postcode: Postcode, as far as it was possible to ascertain. District: The local authority area (district, borough or city) covering this scheme. CCC = Cambridge City; ECDC = East Cambridgeshire; FDC = Fenland; HDC = Huntingdonshire; SCDC = South Cambridgeshire; FHDC = Forest Heath; SEBC = St Edmundsbury; PCC = Peterborough City Overall client group: One of three groups: older, disability or homeless. Where more than one category applies, the "main" one has been used Client group detail: Detail appropriate to the overall client group, providing more about the residents accommodated, including Learning disability, Dementia, Mental health, Physical disability, Autism, Sensory impairment Specialist support: can include… * parents, drug&/alcohol issues, ex-offenders etc. Gender specification: If published Type of accommodation: Detail appropriate to the overall client group, providing more about the type of housing scheme. Care home: "Care homes provide accommodation and personal care for people who may not be able to live independently. Some homes also offer care from qualified nurses or specialise in caring for particular groups such as younger adults with learning disabilities. Care home places can be funded publicly but many people pay for their own care.  The Care Quality Commission (CQC) monitor, inspect and regulate services to make sure they meet fundamental standards of quality and safety (from Care Quality Commission website). In this data, may be listed as care home, care home with either nursing or care home with personal care Extra care: This type of grouped accommodation has a support team on site provides a more intensive level of support than traditional sheltered housing for older people who need some personal care or support or other types of help, but who are otherwise able to live safely and independently  on their own.  Access to care and support 24 hours a day (from Elderly Accommodation Council). "There is no standard definition of extra care housing. According to the Housing LIN, the term 'extra care' housing refers to a concept, rather than a housing type. It is used to describe developments that comprise self-contained homes with design features and support services available to enable self-care and independent living. It comes in a huge variety of forms and may be described in different ways, for example 'very sheltered housing', 'housing with care', 'retirement communities' or 'villages'. Occupants may be owners, part owners or tenants and all have legal rights to occupy underpinned by housing law (in contrast to residents in care homes). There is broad agreement that there is a core set of ingredients that are part of extra care. They are: • Purpose-built, accessible building design that promotes independent living and supports • Fully self-contained properties where occupants have their own front doors, and tenancies or leases which give them security of tenure and the right to control who enters their home • Office for use by staff serving the scheme and sometimes the wider community • Some communal spaces and facilities • Access to care and support services 24 hours a day • Community alarms and other assistive technologies • Safety and security often built into the design with fob or person-controlled entry. It is a popular choice among older people because it can sometimes provide an alternative to a care home (from Cambridgeshire's local "Extra Care Market Position Statement". Foyer: Foyers provide housing for young people and help with education, training and finding work. You usually have to arrange a place through the council or a local advice centre. Foyers... offer affordable accommodation for young people... who are homeless or in housing need, and want to develop skills and prepare for living independently. Foyers vary in size and the amount of support they offer... You can usually stay for between six months and 2 years. Meals are not normally provided, so you need to buy and cook your own food... The workers at the foyer are based at the foyer 24 hours a day. They can help you find affordable accommodation and access grants for things like furniture when you leave. You can find more information about foyers from the Foyer Federation at (definition from Shelter at Age exclusive housing: Age-exclusive housing schemes cater exclusively for older people, usually incorporating design features helpful to older people and may have communal facilities such as residents lounge, guest suite and shared garden, but do not provide any regular on-site support to residents. (Includes unsupported, independent housing, housing suited / promoted to older people) Retirement housing: Age-exclusive housing schemes that cater exclusively for older people, usually incorporating design features helpful to older people and may have communal facilities such as residents lounge, guest suite and shared garden. Retirement housing schemes have a full- or part-time manager (living on- of off-site) whose job includes providing support and advice to residents. Properties may be purchased or rented.  Many schemes have a community or social dimension with residents and/or scheme managers organising entertainments and outings. (Includes supported housing for older people, supported grouped and much ex-sheltered housing) Supported living: Schemes which encourage, empower and enable independent living, often open to young people with a learning disability Supported housing: Housing for people with mental health issues or learning disability, who need support in a residential setting Temporary: Schemes usually for people who have been or are homeless, providing temporary accommodation while more permanent housing solutions are identified. Some provide support services and some are targeted at particular age and gender groups, or types of need. Type of support: Schemes may be listed as including specific types of support, but this data does not guarantee availability… Support can include emergency care, respite care, day care Tenure: Some schemes include a mix of tenures, some are one tenure only. Not all schemes are clear on tenures so only those where tenure was specified are detailed here. More information will be added in future as it becomes available. Data specifies if the scheme is describes as * Includes rented * Include ownership and/or leasehold * Includes shared ownership, where the resident buys a share in the property e.g. 40% of the capital value and pays rent on the remainder with a landlord collecting rent and fulfilling repair and maintenance duties. Number of units: Generally, the number of households spaces, though this depends on the source of the information - sometimes number of persons, sometimes number of rooms In the final column, "notes", some details are added if there is more than one tenancy or type of housing within a scheme Owner or provider: Provider of the scheme ("the landlord" in many cases). Type of provider: four basic "types" are specified * Local Authority (LA) * Housing association or charitable trust (HA/CT) * Private (P) * Unclear Provider webpage and scheme webpage if available Some sources used include… * Extra care mapping project carried out by Cambs County Research Group in 2011 * List of schemes provided by the National Housing Federation as part of the preparation to mobilise the uniting care partnership in 2014 * Combination of list of supporting people schemes contributed to the housing and health JSNA in 2013, and updated list provided by Cambs County Council, used for contract letting work in 2015. * District sources; Huntingdonshire's booklet of sheltered housing, updated 2014; *Peterborough City Council website April 2015; *RSL leaflets & websites including Suffolk Housing Society, Axiom, Sanctuary, Roddons, Orbit, Abbeyfield, bpha, Flagship, Housing&Care 21, Havebury leaflet, Hanover, CHS. Some details form Elderly Accommodation Council (EAC) site at June 2016. * Cambs County Childrens and Young Peoples teams - redacted to data only freely available on the internet * Care homes with (C&N) or without (CnoN) nursing listed on NHS choices website, April 2015 * Home-Link adverts (all dates) specifying sheltered or very sheltered. Home-Link report run on properties advertised as sheltered, 28/05/2015 * Source if listed within HCA SDR 2014 and identifiable as such. HCA gives total supported / older per district, so used as a guide to provider presence * Homeless UK data used for details of local homelessness accommodation at * Leaflets of information provided via Care Choices, at, for Cambs, Peterborough, and Norfolk - some of the data covers "care only" providers so omitted from this list which focusses on accommodation, not solely support. Some geographical areas are not clear in Care Choices (e.g. some of Suffolk is covered in the Norfolk booklet) * County Council Research and Monitoring Group: planning permission for new /change of use to "C2" which covers specialist housing schemes in 2015/16
Contact Name
Sue Beecroft
Contact Email
Public Access Level